- If you find a small stray dog that appears to be lost, injured, or abandoned it is important to bring it to a safe location (such as in your home or a covered shaded screened porch or lania if weather is mild). If you need to you can keep them gated in a spare bathroom, bedroom, laundry room.)
- Provide a thick blanket for bedding, a bowl of water and keep dog calm. A quiet environment is best.
- If dog appears to be sick or injured, take to a local animal hospital immediately.
- Does the dog have a license tag? A name tag with phone number? Call owner.
- Check for Microchip! Take the dog to any local Vet's office. They will scan the dog for free to see if the dog has a microchip. If the dog is chipped, the owner's contact information should be available.
- You can usually place a free "FOUND DOG" ad in your local newspaper. Keep any identification, such as collar or tags, should any question arise later.
- Place an ad on www.craigslist.com in your area under the LOST AND FOUND PET SECTION. There are also many other websites on the internet where you can post that you have found a lost dog.
Whenever you are contacted by someone who claims the dog you found belongs to them, have them prove ownership. Remember, let them descibe the dog's appearance, don't do it for them. Have them provide a photo, don't provide one for them.
They should be able to:
- describe the dog (male, female, neutered, spayed, color of collar, length and color of hair, size, weight, etc.)
- provide the name of dog (see if he responds to the name when called) and photos if possible.
- provide their Vet's name. If you are not sure if the person contacting you is the actual owner, you can always meet them at their Vet's office so that the Vet can confirm and identify the dog.
There are unsavory people who may just simply want a free dog (especially something as cute as a yorkie) and call to claim it as there own even though they are not the rightful owner. You found the dog so for the time being, his life it in your hands. Please be careful about turning the dog over to just anyone. Call us and we will help you - 772-291-8101.
"Paws for thought.... save a Yorkie today."
I FOUND A YORKIE, WHAT DO I DO?
Office # 772-291-8101
THE LINK BELOW IS BY THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES: